Posts tagged saving money
I’ve always thought I was quite financially savvy, let’s face it I’m an accountant so I should know a thing or two about being sensible with money but it seems like company after company seem to think I’m stupid. Here are just a few examples which have annoyed me in recent months…
1. My breakdown company, every year they send me a renewal at an extortionate rate, I then get a cheap equivalent quote, ring them up and they match it. I get so annoyed at this and I think this year I’ll just tell them to stuff it, I wonder how many people just pay the first price without challenging it?
2. Car insurance, it seems companies are always eager to offer you low premiums initially but when that renewal comes through it always seems to be a huge increase. Do people actually just pay this? I know I always go to CompareTheMarket.com and get a cheaper quote. I feel no loyalty to any one company and I’ve never failed to get a cheaper quote than what I’m sent on my renewal
3. Phone bills, even though I’m in credit on my account (yes they OWE me money), they still write to tell me they are increasing my monthly direct debit!! Well thanks My lovely phone company but as soon as my contract expires I’m ditching you.
4. Supermarkets who mislead you with pricing. Have you ever noticed how individual bananas are priced by 100g and multipacks by the kg or other similar items. They seem to be deliberately trying to mislead people into thinking the more expensive item is cheaper. This is one trick that drives me insane and I could write a whole post about it. I’d try taking photos in store but it would be just my luck I’d get evicted by security
5. This is my personal favourite at the moment, I have solar panels on my house so every quarter I’m entitled to a feed in tariff payment for electricity I have generated. Now if I pay the same company even slightly late for my gas or electricity bill, I get red bills, threats of being cut off etc. They however are nowhere near as prompt at paying up when it comes to paying me my money. I wonder how they’d feel if I started asking for interest and adding penalties onto the money they owe me? Maybe I should offer them an early payment discount to see if that helps
Right rant over I love this time of year when all the bills come rolling in at once, don’t you?